First, let me say it....I tried several different online dating sites when I was single. Most of them were so called "Christian" sites. You know, where some are Christians, some are more Christian than others, and some are just NOT Christian. Truth be told, I had a few good experiences. Obviously none of them worked out or led to the altar, as I met (or re-met) my husband through a mutual friend. One thing I learned right away; there were far more women (especially African-American) enrolled on the sites than there were men. One guy I met told me he was presented with about 50 matches, whereas he was my only match. Fierce competition.
So if you are contemplating using an online dating site, here are my tips:
- If you are Christian, stick with the Christian sites like eHarmony, Christian Cafe, etc. Your chances of meeting a Christian are far better than regular sites like Match or Plentyoffish.
- Be alert- pick up cues, be careful. There are still nuts out there they prey on these sites. If you are Christian, use your God-given discernment.
- Take your time to just chat and email one another. You can learn a lot about a person through written communication. Find out about his dreams, goals, faith over time. Be cautious of someone who is too anxious to meet face-to-face.
- If and when you decide to meet face-to-face, select a public place with plenty of people, like restaurants, museums, etc. Always tell a close friend or family member of your plans. Be sure to check in with them before, during and after the date so they have peace of mind that you are alright.
- Be honest! Make sure you have an up-to-date profile picture and not the picture when you were 30 pounds smaller. I know someone who flew to another city to meet someone and when he arrived, the girl was huge. She had used her sister's picture in her profile! He was furious and rightfully so! Always represent your true self.
Feel free to leave your thoughts, tips, and fears in the comment section.